Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Powerful Prayer

After I attended Time Out For Women, I set a goal to use a book I bought, called “365 Days of Powerful Prayer.” Well, I’m only on day #4, but it is remarkable to me how the daily devotions have been right in line with what I’ve needed.

The first two days talked about the purpose of prayer- to find answers. We ask God that we might receive. The third day spoke specifically to the purpose I had in mind after TOFW- to ask God to help me see the vision He has for me and my life. That day had a quotation from Marion G. Romney:


We should pray because prayer is indispensable to the accomplishment of the real purpose of our lives. We are children of God. As such, we have the potentiality to rise to his perfection. The Savior himself inspired us with this aspiration when he said: 
“I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.” (3 Ne. 12:48.) 
No one shall ever reach such perfection unless he is guided to it by Him who is perfect. And guidance from Him is to be had only through prayer. 

(from Prayer is the Key, Marion G. Romney, January 1976)

I felt like this was saying, “Prayer is indispensable to the accomplishment of your search for deep and simple- for who you are.”

The fourth day, today, was also profound. I had set today aside as a cleaning day- one of the reasons I have been feeling overwhelmed is that my home has been a disaster. I just haven’t been able to find the focus or the energy to get the work done, and, strange as it seems, I know that I cannot find peace in a messy home. I had prayed to ask the Lord to give me strength and motivation and this is what I read in my book today, for Day #4:

“... I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”
 - D&C 84:88

That really touched me, because I know it was the Lord letting me know I’m not in it alone, and that even something so simple as cleaning my home can be deep and simple when I am strengthened by Him.

As I said my prayers this morning and had some quiet time at the end for anything the Lord wanted to say to me, the thought came into my mind, “Caring for your home is just another way of caring for your family.” That was exactly what I needed to hear, and I got a LOT accomplished! Hard work is definitely an attribute I need to develop.

One last thing for today- I attended Institute yesterday and I am looking forward to studying the Book of Mormon this year. Admittedly, I haven’t been great at scripture study, even when I do attend Institute. But last night at the end of my prayer, I said, “And if there is any further light and knowledge that Thou wouldst give me, I pray that I might receive it now.” I usually say something similar at the end of my prayers, but never those words. After I said it and was sitting quietly, those words kind of bounced around in my mind- light and knowledge. I was reminded of Elder Scott’s talk in which he spoke of knowledge of the scriptures becoming like little packets of light that we can draw on for strength. I realized that Heavenly Father was telling me that if I want to really hear from Him, then it is imperative that I prayerfully read and study my scriptures.

Deep and simple- pray, read your scriptures.

My next goal- to read and ponder my scriptures daily.

I like you just the way you are. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment