Thursday, September 5, 2013

Let the Search Begin

Why search for Deep and Simple?

Mister Rogers said, “Deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex.” The problem is that as human beings, we are in our essence deep and simple creatures. But modern-day life consists of all that is shallow and complex. How do we weed out the unnecessary excess and find the core of who we are? Why is it important?

As I watched the documentary about Mister Rogers, I realized that he lived by the philosophy of deep and simple, and because he did he exuded love, understanding, acceptance, and joy. Because of who he was and how he treated people- like they were the most important person in the world to him- he was beloved. He taught in a gentle, wonderful, wise way. He was as Christlike as they come, and I don’t use that term lightly.

I want to be that kind of person. I want to follow the example of the Savior, not only for me but for my children. I want them to feel loved and important and confident in who they are. And I want to teach them to be the kind of person who can make others feel loved and important and confident in who they are.

Mister Rogers didn’t read parenting books or develop child-rearing philosophies or do scientific studies to study the effects of this and that on children- he just loved them and understood them. Why can’t I do that?

Why write about it?

I am a writer. I express myself so much better through the written word, and for me, writing is one thing in my life that is deep and simple. At first I resisted the idea of blogging about this journey, because it seemed to absolutely go against the essence of deep and simple. After all, it’s a blog. But I couldn’t get it out of my head, and I realized that I did not want this journey to be a passing fad in my life- I want it to truly be a lifelong journey, and I realized that blogging can help me to stay focused and accountable.

Also, I felt like there might be others who are in search of deep and simple, and might want to take this journey with me. This search for deep and simple is not an original idea- it’s something that many have sought, and many have found. But the thing is, most of the people that I’ve seen that have found it have not been suburban moms juggling a home, a writing career, and four young children. I want to know if it is possible in this crazy life of mine to change the culture in my family from shallow and complex to deep and simple. I want to be able to see my children, not just discipline them, schedule them, kiss them and hug them. I want to hear them, to feel them, to know them, and for them to know I love them. I’m tired of allowing unnecessary distractions to steal away precious moments of time from my life with them and my husband. I want to be present.

What will this blog be?

This blog will essentially be my journal for my quest for deep and simple. It will be basic- no graphics, no photos, just my words. It would be counterproductive for me to spend time trying to make a fancy blog whose main goal is to help me simplify my life.

I will write about the goals I set to help me find deep and simple, the things that work and the things that don’t, the struggles and the successes. I know that it won’t be smooth sailing, and that the search for deep and simple will have to become a constant awareness for me, but I want to try. I would love for you to join me.

Oh, and by the way- I like you just the way you are. :-)

Love,
Kasey


No comments:

Post a Comment