Thursday, September 26, 2013

Mists of Darkness

In Institute this week we were talking about Lehi’s dream from the Book of Mormon. We discussed how there were those who were trying to be faithful, but got lost in the mists of darkness or fell away because of the mocking from the great and spacious building. We talked about how Satan can so easily distract us from what is most important.

Our teacher shared this quotation from President Boyd K. Packer: “Largely because of television, instead of looking over into that spacious building, we are, in effect, living inside of it. That is your fate in this generation. You are living in that great and spacious building.”

I thought about that and I realized that facebook and the internet have the same effect- even more so, in my opinion. We are constantly surrounded by detractors within our own homes, constantly surrounded by distractions and the pull of worldly things.

Earlier that day, before Institute class, I had been on my way to drop off my daughter at preschool and I had the thought: You need a facebook fast. I knew it was true, and I decided I would do it. The things we talked about in Institute just reinforced that fact. I thought about how much time I spend surfing facebook that I could use in reading my scriptures- a habit I am still struggling to pick up. I thought about how Satan hides my scriptures behind things like facebook and surfing the internet and reading other books. I began to feel really disheartened to realize that I was letting him walk all over me like that, and I became determined to take back control.

We also talked about the fact that obedience brings knowledge and truth, and that knowledge comes ONLY through obedience. I realized that the reason my search for my true, deep and simple self- the self the Lord created and wants me to see and nurture- has felt stagnant lately is because I am not reading my scriptures. He will not bless me with more light and knowledge unless I am obedient.

Today in my scripture study I read the words of Nephi teaching his brothers the meaning of the iron rod:

"And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction."

I am ready to get out of these mists of darkness and let Satan know I’m not playing these silly games anymore. It’s time for me to hold to the word of God, to learn what He wants me to learn and to push the distractions aside so that I can see the deep and simple truth.

1 comment:

  1. Kasey,

    Thank you sooo much for dropping by and leaving me such a nice comment! Goodness I have had quite a response to the scarves! I sold all of those scarves in 24hours plus 2 more I made........But wait, I plan to make more!! I tried to email you at unicorn@aol.com, but it was returned undeliverable....email me at thepolkadotcloset@live.com and I will put you in my IMPORTANT file and let you know when I have more made and see if you are still interested. I can ship them and since I can put them in a big envelope and they are light I can ship reasonably

    Thank You for dropping me a note! I will get back to you!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete